Sign up for Guild Updates
A Brief History
Led by columnist Heywood Broun, The American Newspaper Guild began in 1933. Dissatisfaction with their pay was the main reason that editorial workers, traditionally independent, came together.
Often called a union of individuals, the Guild affiliated with the American Federation of Labor in 1936 and the Congress of Industrial Unions in 1937. Also in 1937 it expanded membership to include commercial departments. The Heywood Broun Award for journalistic achievement was established in 1940.
1940s: War Labor Board rules Guild membership does not impair Freedom of the Press.
1950s: Canadian Region established.
1960s: Guild fights to end racial discrimination in news industry hiring, promotion.
1970s: Name changed to The Newspaper Guild; Guild confronts sex discrimination in the industry, intensifies bargaining program to accommodate increasing automation, and initiates Guild-wide portable pension plan.
1980: Guild launches safety campaign to face hazards of video display terminals.
1987: Active membership reaches: more than 34,400
1991: Guild leads charge to protect workers from keyboard-related Repetitive Strain Injuries.
1993: Convention adopts four-year strategic plan including recommendations for merger, greater Canadian autonomy, and membership mobilization.
1995: Convention, membership endorse merger with Communications Workers of America; Members elect first woman president.
1996: Guild launches Web page.
1997: Guild becomes sector of the Communications Workers of America.